Handwashing Prevents Disease
September 28, 2016
How to Wash Your Hands the Right Way
- Wet hands with warm running water prior to reaching for soap, either in bar or liquid form.
- Rub hands together to make a lather. Do this away from running water, so the lather isn’t washed away.
- Wash the front and back of hands, between fingers and under nails. Continue washing for 15 seconds or more.
- Rinse both hands well under warm running water.
- Dry hands thoroughly with a clean towel or air dryer.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers or gels or antibacterial wipes are useful alternatives if soap and water are unavailable (for example, when traveling in the car or taxi on the way to a business meeting, before eating an in-flight meal or snack, or outdoor work settings).